10 January, 2017
Spicy Buffalo Chicken Blue
A Castello® Burger Blue cheese slice melted over a buttermilk chicken fillet burger with spicy buffalo sauce and crisp celery, radish and apple slaw. Yes, please…
For the Chicken:
650g chicken breast tenders cut into strips
1 tablespoon hot sauce (medium strength)
Salt and Pepper
½ cup rice flour
½ cup plain flour
Rice bran oil, for deep frying
For the buffalo-style sauce:
250ml white vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon butter
For the slaw:
1 large Granny Smith apple, skin on, cored and halved
2-3 sticks celery
4-5 large red radishes
Juice ½ lemon
¾ cup good-quality aioli
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
You will also need:
4 slices Castello® Burger Blue cheese
4 soft white dinner rolls
Oak leaf lettuce
- Marinate chicken with buttermilk, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Chill for 2-3 hours.
- Mix plain and rice flours together in bowl and set aside.
- For the slaw, finely slice the apple, radish and celery. Place in a second bowl and toss with lemon juice. Combine aioli and vinegar. Add to mixing bowl and coat everything well. Set aside.
- For the buffalo sauce, place the vinegar, honey, hot sauce, paprika, garlic powder and 125ml water in a saucepan. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium simmering for 10 minutes. In a cup, whisk the cornflour with 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Add to sauce. Simmer over medium heat whisking continuously for 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, and cook over medium heat until sauce has reduced by half and is a thick consistency. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted and sauce is smooth and glossy.
- To cook the chicken, coat each piece in flour mixture. Heat oil in a medium-sized pot. When hot, add in batches of 3-4 until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towel and season with crushed sea salt.
- To assemble, place lettuce on the burger bun base, add slaw then 3 chicken pieces. Drizzle with buffalo sauce and add Castello® Burger Blue cheese slice while the chicken is still hot so it melts slightly. Top with burger bun lid.