9 January, 2017
Classic Beef meets Blue
A Castello® Burger Blue cheese slice melted over a beef pattie, crispy bacon, creamy mushroom sauce and watercress. All your favourite flavours in a bun.
For the patties:
800g minced beef
1 brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3 teaspoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons horseradish cream
For the creamy mushroom sauce:
200g Swiss Brown mushrooms, cut into 1cm slices
3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
200ml créme fraiche
1 tablespoon butter
You will also need:
8 thin slices round pancetta
Good quality tomato relish
Bunch watercress (or rocket)
4 slices Castello® Burger Blue cheese
4 white burger buns
Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
* image courtesy of Katie Quinn Davies
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- To make the patties combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Season well with salt and pepper. Shape into 4 patties about 11cm in diameter and place on a plate lined with paper towel. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line two trays with baking paper. Spread out the pancetta on one of the lined trays and bake for 6-10 minutes or until crisp and browned.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot. Cook patties for 2-3 minutes on each side then transfer to second lined tray, place in the oven and cook for 6-8 minutes or until done to your liking. In the last 2 minutes of cooking add a slice of Castello® Burger Blue so it softens slightly on the pattie.
- Meanwhile heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the sliced mushrooms along with thyme leaves and season well with salt and black pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, tossing frequently for 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add butter and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until butter is melted and mushrooms are coated. Remove from heat and add the créme fraiche.
Stir until combined.
- To assemble, add watercress to burger bun base, add tomato relish, pattie with Castello® Burger Blue cheese slice, mushroom sauce and top with burger bun lid.